EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Demonstrated lab and/or chemistry training, experience or aptitude
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- Associate or Bachelor Degree
- 5+ years laboratory experience with chemical synthesis
For NewMarket or Afton employees, an appropriate combination of experiences that will support the required skill base may replace one or more of the specific experience requirements above.
- Additive Chemistry - Understand the chemical nature of generic and Afton specific component technology and how they drive performance in our areas of application. Understand component interaction in formulations that impact physical, chemical and performance needs over product use and shelf life.
- Organic synthesis – The ability to conduct a range of organic synthesis reactions under the supervision of R&D Chemists. Contribute to the development process by keen observation and discussion with supervisor.
- Decision Making - Decision making in a timely manner based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and pressure; while based upon appropriate risk and authority
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves difficult problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and questions all likely sources for answers; can solve complex problems and recognize complex patterns; utilizing all appropriate tools to reach a robust answer.
- Communication - The ability to communicate information clearly and effectively in an engaging and convincing manner.
- Managing Performance - Possessing the drive and focus to achieve challenging goals.
- Collaboration and Networking - The ability to work in and across Afton's organizational matrix to achieve business objectives, via engaging and rewarding interactions. Through this network provide support, exert influence. Influencing without authority.
- Project Management - The ability to manage tasks and activities and achieve their completion within the agreed framework, across regional and organizational boundaries
- Innovation - The openness to new ideas and the ability to generate breakthrough solutions. Can develop, seek out, critically assess and implement new and value adding concepts.
- Test Development and Execution of Testing - Develop and/or apply physical, chemical and mechanical testing to appropriately demonstrate and/or understand the mechanisms for our products performance and to improve the efficiency of product development.
- Basic computer literacy (i.e. Microsoft Office, Word, Excel).
- Demonstrates understanding and application of safe lab practices and procedures.
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the individual’s race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a military veteran or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.