EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field such as Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- Demonstrated effective project management and leadership skills in a chemical R&D environment typically acquired after more than 10 years of relevant experience, including supervisory experience.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- Advanced degree in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering or MBA
For NewMarket or Afton employees, an appropriate combination of experiences that will support the required skill base may replace one or more of the specific experience requirements above.
- Decision Making - Decision making in a timely manner based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and pressure; while based upon appropriate risk and authority
- Business Insight - The understanding of the basis for our business model and how that is realized in the market. The understanding of how business and operations are intimately linked. The ability to use information, practices & trends, affecting the business to engage and drive new strategies and tactics work in the marketplace.
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves difficult problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and questions all likely sources for answers; can solve complex problems and recognize complex patterns; utilizing all appropriate tools to reach a robust answer.
- Communication - The ability to communicate information clearly and effectively in an engaging and convincing manner.
- Coaching - The ability to provide the structure, environment and support for teaching, training and development of individuals and teams to enable them to achieve specific personal or professional results or goals.
- Managing Performance - Possessing the drive and focus to achieve challenging goals.
- Collaboration and Networking - The ability to work in and across Afton's organizational matrix to achieve business objectives, via engaging interactions and influencing without authority.
- Project Management - The ability to manage tasks and activities and achieve their completion within the agreed framework, across regional and organizational boundaries
- Innovation - The openness to new ideas and the ability to generate breakthrough solutions. Can develop, seek out, critically assess and implement new and value adding concepts.
- Dealing with Uncertainty - Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture; isn’t upset when things are up in the air; doesn’t have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
- Organizational Development - The ability to assess, analyses and implement changes to improve the overall performance and impact of the group / organization, including underlying behavioral, cultural, structural or tactical aspects
- Personnel Management - Success in focusing, aligning, and building effective groups. The effective management of reporting staff, through empathy and understanding, clear definition of success, clarity of purpose and scaled responsibility / development. The ability to address and resolve conflicts in a positive and constructive manner
- Strategic Insight, Definition and Implementation - The ability to engage in broad, complex analytical and conceptual thinking. Stepping beyond current status to assess broader issues and the development of new opportunities. Communication these insights and new approaches
- Operational and Business Processes - Planning skills through the annual and LRP cycles, using preferred tools and frameworks and in alignment with the business strategy
- Leadership - The ability to form a vision for the organization and the capacity to transform and align the organization around the new goal(s). Active personal awareness and development, developing the effective balance of humility, integrity and resilience to drive results.
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the individual’s race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a military veteran or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.