Afton Chemical Ltd is part of the NewMarket Corporation (NYSE: NEU) family of companies, and is one of the largest global suppliers of lubricant and fuel additives worldwide.
We have a rare opportunity for a Chemical Technician to join Afton on a 6 month fixed term contract in our small, friendly lab team. Candidates should ideally have practical laboratory experience, either from previous roles or from studying, and be familiar with handling chemicals. The ability to learn quickly and work both as part of team and independently are prerequisites for this role.
1. Know, understand and consistently adhere to established Afton global safety policy and procedures.
2. Perform Afton Bracknell chemical laboratory sample oil blending using established procedures (Bracknell chemical lab SOPs & formulations).
3. Monitor inventory level and order materials and supplies as needed. May recommend changes in inventory levels based on historical order/usage data. May add inventory items based on historical demand and usage data and recommend deletion of seldom used items.
4. Understand and utilize Afton tools (ReDS, StarLIMS, Lotus Notes) to complete preliminary analysis and interpretation of test results. Prepare reports, memos, presentations, etc., and/or enter into database(s), to communicate results to domestic and global customer technical services & R&D engineers. Handles requests and report results in a timely fashion.
5. Participate in and assist with the continuing personal and group/area training process.
6. Maintain adequate level of specific as well as general technical expertise through training, seminars, etc., to support required activity.
7. Assume responsibilities for the maintenance and troubleshooting of the laboratory equipment and/or instrumentation necessary to perform the laboratory tests.
8. Assure that complete ISO documentation is maintained on all ISO or quality related activities. Participate in ISO related activities and maintain an up-to-date understanding of the ISO function.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
• Experience handling chemicals in laboratory environment and understanding of Good Lab Practice
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
• Associate or Bachelor degree of organic chemistry or chemical engineering
• Demonstrated knowledge and skills of oil, lubricant or additive industry more than 3 years
• Decision Making - Decision making in a timely manner based upon a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment; sometimes with incomplete information, under tight deadlines and pressure; while based upon appropriate risk and authority
• Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves difficult problems with effective solutions; asks good questions and questions all likely sources for answers; can solve complex problems and recognize complex patterns; utilizing all appropriate tools to reach a robust answer.
• Communication - The ability to communicate information clearly and effectively in an engaging and convincing manner.
• Managing Performance - Possessing the drive and focus to achieve challenging goals.
• Collaboration and Networking - The ability to work in and across Afton's organizational matrix to achieve business objectives, via engaging and rewarding interactions. Through this network provide support, exert influence. Influencing without authority.
• Basic computer literacy (i.e. Microsoft Office, Word, Excel)
• Demonstrates understanding and application of safe lab practices and procedures
Software Powered by iCIMS