EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE MINIMUMS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Industrial Safety, Chemistry or other related sciences.
- 3-5 years relevant work experience in an industrial setting or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated effective time management and organizational skills.
- Experience in manufacturing, laboratory and/or R&D environments.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE PREFERRED:
- RCRA hazardous waste compliance experience
- Air permit compliance experience
- Emergency Response/First Aid experience
- Life-critical safety program experience (i.e., Lockout/Tagout, Hot Work, etc.)
SKILLS / ABILITIES: (EHS & Leadership Competencies)
- EHS Risk Assessment: Demonstrates basic understanding of risk, identifies where there is the need for immediate action and to flag risks for management review. Asks questions and utilizes known sources of information to identify existing/ obvious hazards and probability.
- EHS Risk Control: Demonstrates the ability to assist with the development and administration of programs, guidelines and physical controls that help to eliminate or manage EHS risks. Demonstrates the ability to track and complete open corrective actions on a timely basis.
- EHS Compliance & Conformance: Demonstrates the awareness of applicable EHS requirements (i.e., compliance with external regulations and conformance to company EHS standards). Able to identify basic compliance issues and escalate to management as necessary. Attention to detail a must.
- EHS Management Systems: Demonstrates awareness and ability to describe their role within the EHS management system and its key elements Demonstrates an awareness of Afton’s goals and priorities in corporate responsibility and EHS Demonstrates the ability to utilize one or more elements of an effective management system
- Stakeholder Engagement: Demonstrates the ability to build relationships with internal non-EHS contacts that are key to the execution of EHS goals and objectives (such as non-EHS colleagues, emergency responders, regulators, contractors, suppliers). Demonstrates the ability to track and respond to the views, opinions or demands of internal stakeholders.
- Analysis and Problem Solving - Analyzes situations and selects appropriate problem-solving path to adopt. Acts on that independently. Utilizes basic analytical tools.
- Communication - Communicates well on work matters. Capable of compiling inspection reports and presentations.
- Coaching - Demonstrated ability to engage others on achieving specific tasks and activities. Teaches and instructs in a constructive and positive manner.
- Personal Drive – Self-starter; is action-oriented and full of energy for addressing challenges; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes opportunities when they arise. Deals with problems when they arise, focusing the necessary energy and resources on the situation until it is resolved.
- Project Management - Efficiently executes discrete tasks within accepted boundaries and expectations as part of a larger initiative.
- Innovation - Seeks and implements new ideas and approaches to address current and future challenges
Working at NewMarket
Who We Are - We're a diverse, global family of individuals, who share a passion for developing innovative solutions. We build our professional relationships on respect, integrity and a commitment to safety and quality. Just as these values apply to our professional relationships, they also apply to the way we feel about our neighbors and communities.
Our Work - At Afton, our innovative R&D programs lead to global growth. Our lubricant and fuel additives are among the most highly developed and widely used in the petroleum industry. Afton is a recognized and trusted supplier of driveline lubricant additives, engine oil additives, fuel additives and industrial lubricant additives.
Benefits / Compensation - We offer competitive compensation and benefit packages that reflect our commitment to our employees. Our employees are our most treasured asset and we have dedicated resources that allow us to reward our employees for their commitment on an ongoing basis - ensuring our compensation packages are competitive in the industry.
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the individual’s race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a military veteran or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.